Basement Waterproofing Cedar Falls
Basement Waterproofing Introduction
One of the major concerns of many homeowners is water getting into their basement. Not only is the cleanup time consuming and expensive, but water in the basement can also lead to serious health issues of those living in the house. Basement waterproofing is essential in maintaining the health of your home and the health of your family. It prevents water from seeping into the basement and damaging the foundation, wood, and walls of the house and it prevents the risk of mold growth and insect infestation. Here is the information you need regarding the reasons to consider waterproofing and the various options that you have.
Do You Have Water Damage?
Basement waterproofing professionals believe that moisture problems are rather common to the foundation of buildings because there is a striking difference between the temperatures of the ground and those in your home. Different moisture-related issues must be dealt with in different ways, but the first step is identifying the signs and realizing the root causes of these issues. Common signs of moisture in the basement may include:
- Mold and Mildew - If you notice the development of mold and/or mildew in the dark and damp areas of the foundation and a musty odor, there is most likely a moisture-related problem. In this situation, you need to contact a good waterproofing company as soon as possible in order to prevent further damage to the walls and structure of your home.
- Damp Spots and/or Peeling Paint - If you are noticing these signs, it means the water has found its way into the walls of your home and the problem should be addressed immediately. The longer the water is allowed to remain in the walls, the more it will spread and the greater the risk of mold spores being released throughout your home.
- Cracked Walls and Dry Rot - Cracks in the foundation is a serious sign of water penetration. Dry rot often resembles black fungus and can be serious because it may mean that the structure of your home has been compromised. It is critical that you seek professional help from a waterproofing company to assess these signs and recommend the best source of protection for your foundation.
Why to Implement Basement Waterproofing Measures
Basement waterproofing is the perfect way to give you more living space. A basement that has been waterproofed is much easier to transform into an enjoyable space. You won’t have to worry about wet or moldy floors and can instead create a comfortable space where your family can spend time together. There are numerous reasons why waterproofing is important, including:
Stay Safe and Stay Healthy
Mold and mildew growth generally accompany water in your basement. Unfortunately, it can often be difficult to detect these issues, and they may only be apparent when you start to experience health issues, such as difficulty breathing. When you arrange for basement waterproofing, the lower level of your home will be tested before installation. If necessary, a mold remediation team will be brought in to remove the mold before the waterproofing is done.
Leaking in the basement is often the result of cracks in the foundation. Other problems may start outside because there is an imbalance somewhere that is allowing the moisture to seep into the lower level of your home. Once the basement has been waterproofed, the majority, if not all, the foundation issues are resolved and will no longer become a more severe problem in the future.
One of the best benefits of basement waterproofing is that it can increase the resale value of your home. Even if you aren’t thinking about selling anytime soon, it can be a benefit if you decide to sell in the future. A dry, livable basement that is free from mold and other dangers is an excellent selling point. The cost of waterproofing can be easily recouped when selling your home, and also if you decide to remain in the home, especially if you do something creative like adding a bedroom or a family room to the basement.
One of the most common concerns many homeowners have is the lack of space available in their current home. If you are considering moving because your current home feels cramped, basement waterproofing allows you to turn the lower level of your home into the extra living space you need. Whether you use the space for an extra bedroom, a home office, or a home entertainment space, a dry basement will open up a world of possibilities to your current living space.
How Can I Waterproof My Basement?
Before deciding to waterproof the basement on your own by using over the counter products, it is important to hire a professional basement waterproofing company to evaluate your specific needs and then install the appropriate type of waterproofing. A professional waterproofing company will first determine if there are any current leaks, and if so, the cause of the leak and repair recommendations. They will then clean the area and install the waterproofing method that ensures the basement will stay dry. The type of waterproofing method best for your basement depends on the condition and severity of the current damage. Another factor in determining the best waterproofing method to be used is whether the cause of water damage is internal or external. The most common types of waterproofing methods include:
- Interior Sealants - This method is basically used as a temporary measure to keep the basement dry. Interior sealants are available in spray form and can be directly applied to the walls and the floor to prevent these areas from absorbing moisture. It is an inexpensive and effective solution, but it is only temporary.
- Exterior Waterproofing - This is thought to be the most effective waterproofing method. It prohibits any water from reaching the basement walls, reducing the risk for any structural damage. Exterior waterproofing involves digging around the house and installing a proper drainage system that extends down to the foundation level. Exterior waterproofing provides additional protection to your home from the outside water table. The polymers and membranes that are used in this method are known to be highly efficient waterproofing materials.
- Interior Water Drainage - This is also a popular method of waterproofing that is used to prevent water from building up in the basement area through the use of a drainage system. It is effective in removing water that enters your basement during heavy rains. It is a very simple method and the pumps can be quickly installed.
The basement is the foundation of your home, so keeping it in good condition is extremely important for the overall safety of your home. There are many factors such as cost, quality, and durability that must be considered when determining the best waterproofing system for your needs.
Contact Tomlinson Cannon to schedule a consultation to help determine the best method for your home.